Let’s Get Real About Self-care
Author: Shiri Ben-Arzi, PMC
It’s time to get real about what it means to self-care.
We are used to seeing the consumer version of self-care in the media but actual self-care has little to do with salt Baths, candles, chocolates, or “treating ourselves to something nice” and a lot to do with listening to the body, making long-term health & wellness decisions, bravely letting go, setting brave boundaries, re-strategizing, and being honest with ourselves and others about what we really need.
Self-care is about caring for the self.
It can become messy and bring up old issues of self-worth and limiting beliefs,
AND it can also be a political act of defining traditional gender roles and standing up against oppression.
For those reasons, coaching people on self-care needs to be done in a profound, grounded, and practical way with as little BS as possible. It needs to be customized to the client because there is no “one size fits all”.
Medical Coaching addresses self-care 0n 5 levels of needs:
- Health Needs – addressing the current medical or health challenges the client is facing (this includes stress-related issues). If you are a Health, wellness, or Medical coach, this includes medical care and adherence to medication.
- Physical Needs – listening to the body’s needs regarding nutrition, hydration, rest, movement, and touch.
- Emotional needs –addressing issues of love, acceptance, authenticity, connection, and self-expression.
- Spiritual needs –addressing vision, purpose, connection to a higher self, intuition, and creativity.
- Social needs – addressing relationships, connection, boundaries, communication, and support.
5 important thing to remember about self-care:
- Many people have an idea from the media about the “right way” to self-care and already feel they are failing at it.
- Trying to do self-care “the right way” can become a stressor.
- Self-care is not selfish and it is not selfless – it is SELF LOVE.
- Practicing self-care means caring for your dependents and your loved ones
- Self-care can save your life!
If you found this useful share it with someone else that can benefit from it.
Master Medical Coach
Founder of MCI – the Medical Coaching Institute